If you have a legal question, and you live in Ontario, this site is for you.
LawFacts provides in-depth legal information and resources.


Links and resources for help

Legal aid and lawyers:

  • Legal Aid Ontario (LAO): Services are provided to eligible refugee claimants by private bar and LAO staff lawyers, and are also available at some legal clinics. Services include Basis of Claim form preparation, representation at refugee hearings, at the refugee appeal division, and at judicial reviews (Federal Court).
  • Refugee Law Office (RLO) (Toronto): Offers services to legally aided refugee claimants in Toronto. The RLO also provides representation at detention reviews before the Immigration Division of the Irbid specialty cases services, as well as support to lawyers and community outreach.
  • Community Legal Clinics (CLCs) (Ontario): Some of these non-profit legal clinics offer immigration and refugee law services. Contact your local clinic to see if these services are available, Community Legal Education Ontario is a specialized community legal clinic that provides public legal education on many topics of law, including immigration and refugee law.
  • Legal aid across Canada: Legal aid across Canada: B.C., Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador offer immigration and refugee legal aid services. The Legal Aid Plans of Canada website has a complete list; however, some provincial plans do not cover refugee matters.
  • Law Societies across Canada: Use this resource to make a complaint about a lawyer located in your province or territory
  • No One is Illegal: Tips on hiring a lawyer and other legal information.

Community organizations:


  • Find a Lawyer or Paralegal (Ontario): Find a Lawyer or Paralegal (Ontario): Use the Law Society of Upper Canada’s directory to find a legal representative for your refugee and immigration case.

Immigration consultants:

Government Departments

  • Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA): Information for non-Canadians from the government agency responsible for "managing the access of people and goods to and from Canada."
  • IRCC: The government agency responsible for immigration and citizenship issues, including refugee matters.
  • Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB): An independent administrative tribunal responsible for making decisions on immigration and refugee matters. The IRB decides who needs refugee protection among the thousands of claimants who come to Canada annually.

Other organizations and helpful resources:

Forms and guides: