If you have a legal question, and you live in Ontario, this site is for you.
LawFacts provides in-depth legal information and resources.


I am making a claim from inside Canada

You can ask for refugee protection from inside Canada at a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office. This is known an “inland claim.” It is important to get legal help and start collecting your documents immediately.

How do I begin a claim inside Canada?

To start a refugee claim from inside Canada, visit a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office, where you will be given a list of forms to complete and return with when you are ready. You can also make an inland claim at a Canadian Border Services (CBSA) office, for example if you were detained close to the Canadian border but not at the border itself.

What forms will I be given?

When you visit a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Office to start a claim, they will give you a list of forms to complete, including the Basis of Claim (BOC) form and the following immigration forms: You can also download the immigration forms on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. Instructions on how to fill out these forms are found in CIC’s Guide on Applying for Refugee Protection from Inside Canada. You will submit your completed BOC form, immigration forms, and translated identity and travel documents in person when you are ready. You will not have a deadline.

What do I need to do next?

The next steps are very important for your claim.
  1. Get legal help: It is very important to find legal help right away. You will need to meet with your lawyer or representative a few times to prepare your forms. Finding good and affordable help in time—such as a lawyer, paralegal or immigration consultant—may be difficult.
  2. Prepare your BOC form: Start completing your BOC form as soon as possible. You have to submit it 15 days after your claim is sent to the IRB. The BOC form can be difficult but is an important part of your claim. It needs to be as complete, clear and consistent as possible.
  3. Collect your documents: Start collecting your documents to support your claim right away. Identity and travel documents should be submitted with your BOC form, but only after they are reviewed by your legal representative. They need to match your BOC form and immigration forms. All other documents are due 10 days before your hearing. If your documents are not English or French, they need to be translated.