If you have a legal question, and you live in Ontario, this site is for you.
LawFacts provides in-depth legal information and resources.


How to start a claim

You have two ways to start a refugee claim in Canada. The process will be different depending on where you begin your claim. You should find legal help as soon as possible.

You can make a refugee claim when you enter Canada either at the Canadian border, airport or seaport.

You can also ask for refugee protection once you are already inside Canada, either at a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office or with the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA).

To learn more, choose the situation that best describes how you are starting your refugee claim:

I am making a claim when I arrive at a Canadian border, airport or a seaport (Port of Entry (POE) Claim).

I am already in Canada and will be making a claim from within the country (Inland claim).