If you have a legal question, and you live in Ontario, this site is for you.
LawFacts provides in-depth legal information and resources.


Checklist of documents for your claim

These are documents that you should try to get for your refugee claim, if they apply to your case. Start collecting them right away. There are two deadlines for documents:

  1. Documents that prove your identity or that show how you travelled to Canada are due when you submit your Basis of Claim (BOC) form. If you do not have these right away, you have to submit them as soon as you get them.
  2. All other documents are due 10 days before your hearing.

Your documents must match the contents of your BOC Form. Even the smallest difference in dates, names or facts can create serious problems for your claim. Choosing what documents support your claim is very difficult. Bring your documents to your lawyer or representative to review. You need to get your documents translated if they are not in English or French. Any documents that have been “seized” by a Canadian official do not need to be submitted to the IRB.

 * The information in these documents must be the same as the contents of your BOC

  1. Identity and Travel Documents: Due with Basis of Claim (BOC) form
    • Documents to prove your identity:
      • Birth certificate
      • National identity card
      • Passport
      • Driver’s license
      • School certificates
      • Military documents
      • Political membership cards
      • Professional or religious membership cards
      • Any other official documents with your name and date of birth
    • Documents to prove how you travelled to Canada:
      • Airline ticket
      • Itinerary
      • Boarding passes
      • Bus or train tickets
      • Visas
      • Other
  2. Other documents to support your claim: 10 days before your hearing
    • Proof of membership in any political organizations
    • Medical or psychological reports
    • Police reports
    • Employment letters
    • Business records
    • Marriage certificates
    • Divorce certificates
    • Rental lease proving your address in your country, or letters from neighbours or landlords to prove where you lived
    • Affidavits, declarations or letters from co-workers, family and friends who could confirm the problems you were having in your country and what you wrote in your Basis of Claim (BOC) form
    • If your claim is about your religion:
      • Documents from your religious organization in your country
      • Documents from any religious organizations that you are involved with in Canada
      • Affidavits, letters or declarations from your religious organization, friends and/or family
    • If your claim is about your sexual orientation or gender identity (LGBT):
      • Affidavits, declarations or letters from people who know about your sexual orientation or gender identity (partners or former partners, community, friends or family)
      • Affidavits, declarations or letters from any LGBT organization that you are involved with in your country or in Canada
    • Any other document you think might be important

For more information

Continue reading: