If you have a legal question, and you live in Ontario, this site is for you.
LawFacts provides in-depth legal information and resources.


What if I change my mind halfway through completing diversion and I decide that I want to have a trial on my charges?

Choosing to complete diversion or not is up to you, and you can always change you mind. Everyone has a right to have a trial on their charges if they wish. Keep in mind that if your case has been delayed for a period of time in order for you to do community service, counselling etc., this time may be seen as your delay. This is important to remember because everyone has a constitutional right to a trial within a reasonable time, and it may be difficult to come back to the court and argue that this right was violated (if you chose to do this) if you want to have a trial. You should speak to your lawyer or duty counsel about this issue if you decide not to complete diversion after you’ve started it.